Adult singles dating wardensville west virginia social bioware not updating
As settlement progressed during the second half of the 18th century, the fertile land of Hampshire County (including the Cacapon River Valley) also attracted German settlers from Pennsylvania and elsewhere in Virginia before and after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783).
As the population of German settlers in the region began to increase, the desire for Lutheran religious services and education also grew.
He established many of the area's Lutheran churches and, according to the North Carolina Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, was "an outstanding figure in this large, mountainous, thinly populated territory, who for sixty years almost continuously was recognized as everybody's pastor".
In 1905, the church's wood roof was replaced with a metal one, the present stained-glass windows were installed, its interior and woodwork were painted, and new lamps were installed for better illumination.
The cemetery contains over 600 gravestones, several yuccas, a hemlock tree, and a boxwood.
A modern brick community building, within the historic boundary south of the church and cemetery, is used for church activities.
As of October 2015, the church continues to be used by the West Virginia-Western Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
The 1849 church was originally topped by a wooden shake roof, and its windows had double-hung wooden sashes.
Its pews were built by Alfred Brill, Jacob Himmelwright and Frederick Secrist with lumber milled by Brill.
A paved brick walkway leads from the gate to the northwestern façade and two main entrances of the church.
The church is surrounded on its northeastern, southeastern, and southwestern sides by a cemetery which is still in use.